University of Louisville Creative Writing
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Joyce Carol Oates is the Final Judge for this year's Calvino Prize.
1) Submit up to 25 industry standard (double-spaced, 12-point font, pages numbered) pages of a novel, novella, short story, or short collection. Entries which use a smaller font or are single-spaced in order to make a longer work appear to be only 25 pages will be trimmed to approximately 25 industry standard pages. Work previously published is eligible and simultaneous submissions are accepted. An excerpt from a larger work is allowed; however, remember that the selection will be judged on its own merit and so should be able to stand on its own.
2) Your name must not appear anywhere in the manuscript attachment. Instead, please include one title page listing only the title of the manuscript. Entries containing the author's name or identifying information will be disqualified.
3) Please do not send publication history of the author.
4) Submit anytime between Wednesday, July 1 and Thursday, October 15, 2020.
5) The entry fee is USD 25, and all proceeds go to fund the award.
6) Results will be posted to the University of Louisville's website in January 2021. Finalists and winners will be notified via email.
7) Previous first place winners may not enter for three years after winning. Second place winners and finalists have no restrictions.
8) Faculty and employees of the University of Louisville may not enter the contest. University of Louisville alumni, former students, and former employees must wait a minimum of three years from their date of separation to be eligible for the Prize.
9) The judges reserve the right to withhold the award if no entry is deemed worthy.
10) For questions, email Ian Stansel, Director of Creative Writing, at firstname.lastname@example.org.